Azure Device Provisioning Service(DPS) when transient isn’t

After some updates to my Device Provisioning Service(DPS) code the RegisterAsync method was exploding with an odd exception.

TTI Webhook Integration running in desktop emulator

In the Visual Studio 2019 Debugger the exception text was “IsTransient = true” so I went and made a coffee and tried again.

Visual Studio 2019 Quickwatch displaying short from error message

The call was still failing so I dumped out the exception text so I had some key words to search for

Microsoft.Azure.Devices.Provisioning.Client.ProvisioningTransportException: AMQP transport exception
 ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Sys
   at Microsoft.Azure.Amqp.ExceptionDispatcher.Throw(Exception exception)
   at Microsoft.Azure.Amqp.AsyncResult.End[TAsyncResult](IAsyncResult result)
   at Microsoft.Azure.Amqp.AmqpObject.OpenAsyncResult.End(IAsyncResult result)
   at Microsoft.Azure.Amqp.AmqpObject.EndOpen(IAsyncResult result)
   at Microsoft.Azure.Amqp.Transport.AmqpTransportInitiator.HandleTransportOpened(IAsyncResult result)
   at Microsoft.Azure.Amqp.Transport.AmqpTransportInitiator.OnTransportOpenCompete(IAsyncResult result)
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at Microsoft.Azure.Devices.Provisioning.Client.Transport.AmqpClientConnection.OpenAsync(TimeSpan timeout, Boolean useWebSocket, X509Certificate2 clientCert, IWebProxy proxy, RemoteCertificateValidationCallback remoteCerificateValidationCallback)
   at Microsoft.Azure.Devices.Provisioning.Client.Transport.ProvisioningTransportHandlerAmqp.RegisterAsync(ProvisioningTransportRegisterMessage message, TimeSpan timeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Microsoft.Azure.Devices.Provisioning.Client.Transport.ProvisioningTransportHandlerAmqp.RegisterAsync(ProvisioningTransportRegisterMessage message, TimeSpan timeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at Microsoft.Azure.Devices.Provisioning.Client.Transport.ProvisioningTransportHandlerAmqp.RegisterAsync(ProvisioningTransportRegisterMessage message, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at devMobile.IoT.TheThingsIndustries.AzureIoTHub.Integration.Uplink(HttpRequestData req, FunctionContext executionContext) in C:\Users\BrynLewis\source\repos\TTIV3AzureIoTConnector\TTIV3WebHookAzureIoTHubIntegration\TTIUplinkHandler.cs:line 245

I tried a lot of keywords and went and looked at the source code on github

One of the many keyword searches

Another of the many keyword searches

I then tried another program which did used the Device provisioning Service and it worked first time so it was something wrong with the code.

using (var securityProvider = new SecurityProviderSymmetricKey(deviceId, deviceKey, null))
{
	using (var transport = new ProvisioningTransportHandlerAmqp(TransportFallbackType.TcpOnly))
	{
		DeviceRegistrationResult result;

		ProvisioningDeviceClient provClient = ProvisioningDeviceClient.Create(
			Constants.AzureDpsGlobalDeviceEndpoint,
			 dpsApplicationSetting.GroupEnrollmentKey, <<= Should be _azureIoTSettings.DeviceProvisioningService.IdScope,
			securityProvider,
			transport);

		try
		{
				result = await provClient.RegisterAsync();
		}
		catch (ProvisioningTransportException ex)
		{
			logger.LogInformation(ex, "Uplink-DeviceID:{0} RegisterAsync failed IDScope and/or GroupEnrollmentKey invalid", deviceId);

			return req.CreateResponse(HttpStatusCode.Unauthorized);
		}

		if (result.Status != ProvisioningRegistrationStatusType.Assigned)
		{
			_logger.LogError("Uplink-DeviceID:{0} Status:{1} RegisterAsync failed ", deviceId, result.Status);

			return req.CreateResponse(HttpStatusCode.FailedDependency);
		}

		IAuthenticationMethod authentication = new DeviceAuthenticationWithRegistrySymmetricKey(result.DeviceId, (securityProvider as SecurityProviderSymmetricKey).GetPrimaryKey());

		deviceClient = DeviceClient.Create(result.AssignedHub, authentication, TransportSettings);

		await deviceClient.OpenAsync();

		logger.LogInformation("Uplink-DeviceID:{0} Azure IoT Hub connected (Device Provisioning Service)", deviceId);
	}
}

I then carefully inspected my source code and worked back through the file history and realised I had accidentally replaced the IDScope with the GroupEnrollment setting so it was never going to work i.e. IsTransient != true. So, for the one or two other people who get this error message check your IDScope and GroupEnrollment key make sure they are the right variables and that values they contain are correct.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.