TTI V3 Connector Device EUI Representation

While debugging The Things Industries(TTI) V3 connector on my desktop I had noticed the Device EUI‘s were wrong.

TTI V3 Connector application running as a console application showing incorrect DeviceEUIs

The TTI V3 Connector code…

foreach (V3EndDevice device in endDevices.End_devices)
{
   if (DeviceAzureEnabled(device))
   {
      _logger.LogInformation("Config-ApplicationID:{0} DeviceID:{1} Device EUI:{2}", device.Ids.Application_ids.Application_id, device.Ids.Device_id, BitConverter.ToString(device.Ids.Dev_eui));

      tasks.Add(DeviceRegistration(device.Ids.Application_ids.Application_id, device.Ids.Device_id, _programSettings.ResolveDeviceModelId(device.Ids.Application_ids.Application_id, device.Attributes), stoppingToken));
   }
}

…uses some classes generated by nSwag based on the TheThingsNetwork/LoRaWAN-stack api.swagger.json

public partial class V3EndDeviceIdentifiers 
{
        [Newtonsoft.Json.JsonProperty("device_id", Required = Newtonsoft.Json.Required.Default, NullValueHandling = Newtonsoft.Json.NullValueHandling.Ignore)]
        public string Device_id { get; set; }
    
        [Newtonsoft.Json.JsonProperty("application_ids", Required = Newtonsoft.Json.Required.Default, NullValueHandling = Newtonsoft.Json.NullValueHandling.Ignore)]
        public V3ApplicationIdentifiers Application_ids { get; set; }
    
        /// <summary>The LoRaWAN DevEUI.</summary>
        [Newtonsoft.Json.JsonProperty("dev_eui", Required = Newtonsoft.Json.Required.Default, NullValueHandling = Newtonsoft.Json.NullValueHandling.Ignore)]
        public byte[] Dev_eui { get; set; }
    
        /// <summary>The LoRaWAN JoinEUI (AppEUI until LoRaWAN 1.0.3 end devices).</summary>
        [Newtonsoft.Json.JsonProperty("join_eui", Required = Newtonsoft.Json.Required.Default, NullValueHandling = Newtonsoft.Json.NullValueHandling.Ignore)]
        public byte[] Join_eui { get; set; }
    
        /// <summary>The LoRaWAN DevAddr.</summary>
        [Newtonsoft.Json.JsonProperty("dev_addr", Required = Newtonsoft.Json.Required.Default, NullValueHandling = Newtonsoft.Json.NullValueHandling.Ignore)]
        public byte[] Dev_addr { get; set; }
}

After some research I found references to the underlying problem in TTN and OpenAPI forums. The Dev_addr and Dev_eui fields are Base16(Hexidecimal) encoded binary but are being processed as if they were Base64(mime) encoded.

The TTI connector only displays the Device EUI so I changed the Dev_eui property to a string

public partial class V3EndDeviceIdentifiers 
{
        [Newtonsoft.Json.JsonProperty("device_id", Required = Newtonsoft.Json.Required.Default, NullValueHandling = Newtonsoft.Json.NullValueHandling.Ignore)]
        public string Device_id { get; set; }
    
        [Newtonsoft.Json.JsonProperty("application_ids", Required = Newtonsoft.Json.Required.Default, NullValueHandling = Newtonsoft.Json.NullValueHandling.Ignore)]
        public V3ApplicationIdentifiers Application_ids { get; set; }
    
        /// <summary>The LoRaWAN DevEUI.</summary>
        [Newtonsoft.Json.JsonProperty("dev_eui", Required = Newtonsoft.Json.Required.Default, NullValueHandling = Newtonsoft.Json.NullValueHandling.Ignore)]
        public string Dev_eui { get; set; }

      /// <summary>The LoRaWAN JoinEUI (AppEUI until LoRaWAN 1.0.3 end devices).</summary>
      [Newtonsoft.Json.JsonProperty("join_eui", Required = Newtonsoft.Json.Required.Default, NullValueHandling = Newtonsoft.Json.NullValueHandling.Ignore)]
        public byte[] Join_eui { get; set; }
    
        /// <summary>The LoRaWAN DevAddr.</summary>
        [Newtonsoft.Json.JsonProperty("dev_addr", Required = Newtonsoft.Json.Required.Default, NullValueHandling = Newtonsoft.Json.NullValueHandling.Ignore)]
        public byte[] Dev_addr { get; set; }
}

I also had to remove the BitConverter.ToString call

foreach (V3EndDevice device in endDevices.End_devices)
{
   if (DeviceAzureEnabled(device))
   {
      _logger.LogInformation("Config-ApplicationID:{0} DeviceID:{1} Device EUI:{2}", device.Ids.Application_ids.Application_id, device.Ids.Device_id, device.Ids.Dev_eui);

      tasks.Add(DeviceRegistration(device.Ids.Application_ids.Application_id, device.Ids.Device_id, _programSettings.ResolveDeviceModelId(device.Ids.Application_ids.Application_id, device.Attributes), stoppingToken));
   }
}

Now the DeviceEUI values are displayed correctly and searching for EndDevices in Azure Application Insights is easier

TTI V3 Connector application running as a console application showing correct DeviceEUIs

Modifying the nSwag generated classes is a really nasty way of fixing the problem but I think this approach is okay as it’s only one field and any other solution I could find was significantly more complex.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.